School and Church Fire Safety
If you discover SMOKE or FIRE or
hear the fire alarm in your school or Church:
IMMEDIATELY LEAVE BUILDING BY MEANS OF NEAREST AVAILABLE EXIT
Dial 911 to get connect to the fire department.
- Before opening door, see if it is hot by placing the palm of your
hand against it.
- If hot, remain in room.
- If you are on ground floor level, CAREFULLY exit through window, if
- If on upper floor, call 911 and notify dispatcher of room number.
- Block entrance of smoke and heat into room by stuffing towels or
blankets around door.
- Stay low near floor to avoid smoke and heat. Open window, DO NOT
exit onto ledges.
- REMAIN CALM. Firefighters will get to you as soon as possible.
- If the door is cool, open slightly and check for smoke in corridor.
- If clear, proceed to nearest available exit (exterior door or
- Stay low near floor to avoid smoke and heat.
- Close doors on your way out.
- If corridor is too smoky to reach stairway or exit, remain in room.
- When leaving building, get well clear of entire area.
- Proceed to the designated gathering-place and report to
RA/Instructor/Supervisor for roster check.
Pull the fire alarm, if not already sounding
Notify other persons on your way out
Asks them to
identify all of the possible exits
they can use in Church/School in case of a firer.
Do they know where's the nearest firer extinguisher?